New Product Development
Client: Overhead Door
Project: Genie Garage Door Opener
Genie came to New Standard with a base model of a new generation of garage door opener. Cost and overall margin were important considerations as well the advanced number of moving parts and components. New Standard engineers began working with Genie at the Phase 1 design level.
New Standard’s participation in the overall design resulted in significant changes.
- Redesigned the part to remove additional components
- New designs were based on a finite element analysis (FEA) and formability analysis to speed the design process forward.
- Developed a common approach to the product’s head-plates resulting in the consolidation of SKUs and for changing the material properties.
- The new design consolidated two tools into one.
- The change in design resulted in a 300% increase in apparent strength.
- Removing the additional components reduced costs by 10% or $60,000 per year.
- The consolidation of the SKUs resulted in an overall cost savings of 15%.
- Moving from two tools to one saved over $150,000 in tooling costs.
- One Happy Customer: Priceless
“We do business with New Standard because it makes sense for us. Competitive pricing, world class service, excellent bandwidth to cover the majority of our metal needs… New Standard doesn’t just offer a quote and then supply a product. They spend the right amount of time truly understanding our product, the product application, what we’re doing today, what we’re planning for the future, and how it may affect our customers. During launch of a new generation product, their design team made specific design recommendations that saved us cash in the “2 comma” range. They continue to bring that design influence to bear as our products move throughout their life cycle. They have the bandwidth to offer us a low “total cost of ownership” solution for our design support, metal stamping, fabrication, and sub-assembly needs.”
-Overhead Door VP